Many of these reasons are interrelated, which goes along with holistic health. Exercise is just another aspect we all need in our daily lives to keep healthy all-around.
1. Keep the excess pounds down. We all know this one and it's probably the most popular reason for exercise. However, keeping excess weight at bay can pretty much help with all of the following reasons, as well.
2. Boost immunity. Exercising gives you a temporary boost in cells that attack bacteria; therefore, those who practice regular, moderate exercise report fewer cases of colds and flu.
3. Prevent heart disease. Exercise raises good cholesterol (HDL), lowers blood pressure, lowers stress, and helps keep off excess weight, all contributors to heart disease.
4. Build strong bones. Strength-training increases bone density and lowers the risk of osteoporosis.
5. Control blood sugar. Regular, brisk walking can decrease your chances of getting type 2 diabetes by helping control weight and increasing your cells' sensitivity to insulin.
6. Protect against cancer. Any level or intensity of exercise has been shown to decrease cancer risk. It helps regulate hormone levels and, again, helps keep off that excess weight, which is very important in cancer prevention.
7. Decrease stress. Exercise helps to clear your mind and provides a positive outlet for stress. It also releases endorphins, which give you a natural mood boost. Oh, and who isn't less stressed when you are looking and feeling better!
8. Keep you young. Working out boosts the amount of oxygen consumed during exercise, which can help take years off your age.
9. Improve sleep. Not only does regular exercise help tire you out, it also helps clear your mind and prepare you for sound sleep. If your stress level is improved by exercise, your sleep quality is sure to improve, as well.
10. Boost your mood. This goes along with decreased stress and all of the above reasons. Releasing endorphins during exercise gives you a natural mood boost.